Thursday, January 2, 2014

Trollbridge & Trollzine

I have been a fan of Tunnels & Trolls for quite some time.  I have always wanted to devote some more time to the game but I have been unsuccessful in my attempts to get a group together but I have played through several of the solos.  The only issue I have ever had with the game - I am sure to get some heat on this - comes with spell names such as "Yassa Massa".  Yes, I know it's just a game but I have lightened up as I have gotten older so it's really no issue at all. 
 
I have the old Corgi print of the rules and several solos that I picked up years ago.  I also have the booklet that was available during free rpg day several years back.  I recently did some trading and got rid of the Fiery Dragon version.  I like the fast playing aspect of the game system and I really think it deserves more credit than it seems to get.  Maybe that will come about with the release of the Deluxe T&T that recently had a successful kickstarter campaign.  
 
I still have several days left on my Christmas break and I have spent a lot of my spare time browsing  gaming sites. I have been aware of Vin's T&T TrollBridge for a while and have even browsed through the forums a time or two. I decided to do some serious delving through those forums and I am glad that I did.  There is a nice community of folks there discussing T&T and other roleplaying games.  They are not uptight about old threads being brought back to life.  I did so with several threads and got serious answers to my inquiries. 
 
I also discovered Trollzine magazine from the forums.  It is a free fan-made magazine full of material for Tunnels & Trolls.  I have just started going through the magazines but they are a top shelf labor of love and I would highly recommend them to anyone interested in additional content for their campaigns.  Of course, there are many interesting links and other goodness to find while visiting so go take a look sometime.

2 comments:

  1. I decided to go looking for articles that might mention the very out-of-date spell name used in the older editions of T&T. I found your review (for the first time - its now 2020) and I just wanted to add that we have changed that spell name in all the PDFs of T&T that we are selling. (Deluxe T&T which was published in 2015, did not use that spell name) The spell is now called "Obey Me!" so it more like what an angry wizard or mad scientist might say to someone who they are trying to hypnotize and now has no racial connection. T&T was written in 1975, the same year as Blazing Saddles. It was a different time and if we ever republish any of the old editions we will change the name. We are sincerely sorry for anyone that was offended by that very badly named spell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries at all, Steve. I was looking at it from a whimsical point of view. I was never so serious that I never wanted humor in my games but I always leaned to a more serious tone. I never took offense at the names but I just thought there were "too funny" for my games. I see your points and I definitely understand the reasoning behind the changes.

      Delete