Monday, February 10, 2014

D&D 40th Anniversary Blog Hop Challenge Day 10

This post is part of a series of posts in the D&D 40th Anniversary Blog Hop Challenge.  The information in many of these posts is related to events that occurred primarily in the1980’s. Since it is now 2014, I can not guarantee complete accuracy with such a large passage of time but I will present the events and information as best as I can recall.

Day 10: First gaming magazine you ever bought (Dragon, Dungeon, White Dwarf, etc.).


I ran across Dragon magazine during one of my visits to the friendly local game store.  I am not sure which number was on the issue but I do know that it was lower than 100.  I read that thing front to back and would read it again several times.  I got a subscription so I would not have to go to town to pick it up.  I used to pick up Dragon quite frequently in the store after my subscription ran out; plus, it gave me an excuse to visit the game shop.  I used to have several folders with articles I had cut out to use in our games. 



Over the years, I have read many different gaming magazines and have valued them quite differently.  I never much cared for Dungeon even though I think it’s a great idea.  I was just more interested in the general purpose type of magazine that I got from Dragon.  I have read issues of Roleplayer, Pyramid, The RIFTER, Shadis, White Dwarf, and many others.  The only magazines that rivaled Dragon in the enjoyment and use I got out of them was The Space Gamer and The Fantasy Gamer.  I know that there are email newsletters, news sites, forums, and other online things that can serve as substitutes for these items but I really think we are in need of a quality magazine or two that we can pick up in print every month or so.    

No comments:

Post a Comment