Sunday, February 16, 2014

D&D 40th Anniversary Blog Hop Challenge Day 16

This post is part of a series of posts in the D&D 40th Anniversary Blog Hop Challenge.  The information in many of these posts is related to events that occurred primarily in the1980’s. Since it is now 2014, I can not guarantee complete accuracy with such a large passage of time but I will present the events and information as best as I can recall.


Day 16: Do you remember your first Edition War?  Did you win?

I have had some serious discussions over the years when it comes to game and game systems.  When I say “serious discussions” I do not mean the “dig in and call for reinforcements because this means war” type of discussions.  What I mean is two people offering up points and counter-points to determine which game or game system would be better in play for their group.  I have had many of those discussions and I do not recall any absolutely uncivil or rude behavior.

When I think of edition war it brings to mind images of “that guy” at the friendly local game store that absolutely has to make snide remarks about the shopping habits of other customers; worse yet, the employees that do this.  I have no problem spending my gaming money elsewhere but that is a different rant.  I think you all know the people I am talking about.  The ones that insist on going on about why your game sucks in a John Madden-like rant when you pick up a book to look through it at the store.


Winning is not the point and I will generally just ignore these people.  At my age and in my location it is difficult enough to find people to play with in a face to face game.  I am generally willing to play just about anything to give it a try.  Playing is more important than critiquing every little aspect of every game.  If I find out that I do not care for the game through play then no harm, no foul.   

No comments:

Post a Comment